Strawberries are in season in Ontario all through July and because they are rich in fiber, antioxidants and Vitamin C, I highly recommend them that you enjoy them whenever you can. As is true with most produce that you buy, it is best if you buy them locally grown and organic. Avoid buying the gargantuan strawberries grown in California as they are likely to be genetically modified to the point that they have not only lost flavor, they have also lost vitamins.
The Health Benefits of Eating Strawberries
Not only are strawberries fat-free, low carb (at only 11 grams a cup) and low in calories (at 47 per cup), making them the ideal weight loss snack, they also offer the following benefits:
- A cup of strawberries provides you with 113% of your daily requirement for Vitamin C, thus keeping your cardiovascular and immune systems in tip-top shape
- They contain hundreds of phytochemicals and phytonutrients that prevent aging, inflammation and metabolic disorders such as pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes
- Strawberries are very rich in fibers and have tiny seeds that help scour the intestines and clean them of waste and mucus, thus making it easier for your intestines to absorb nutrients from the foods that you eat
- As they are so rich in fiber, they also make you feel full after you eat them, thus preventing you from overeating
- Strawberries are an organic source of many minerals, including iodine, copper, potassium, manganese, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, helping to support your thyroid function and
- Strawberries support hair growth because they contain folate, biotin and Vitamin B6
- They are a vegan source of Omega-3 fats that help clean your bloodstream, lower cholesterol, nourish your brain, keep your joints flexible and improve your mood
- The high potassium levels in strawberries act as a mild diuretic, helping to rinse excess sodium out of your system, which relieves bloating and keeps you slim-looking.
How to Include More Strawberries in Your Diet
Aside from eating them raw, there are many great ways to add this delicious fruit to your diet.
- Slice up strawberries and float them in any type of chilled water, soda water, lemonade or ice tea
- Strawberries are delicious when eaten raw and dipped in balsamic vinegar.
- Stir fresh chopped strawberries into yogurt or cottage cheese
- Add fresh strawberries to any type of smoothie, even a green smoothie.
- Chopped strawberries go into any salad and are especially good when added to a kale or spinach salad
- Make a coulis sauce to pour over meats, cheesecake or ice cream by blending half of a cup of orange juice with a cup of strawberries
- Make a Japanese strawberry soda by filling a tall glass filled with ice with a half of cup of rice milk or coconut milk, adding a handful of fresh chopped strawberries and topping it club soda and mint
- Make strawberry and cream popsicles by blending together a cup of mashed strawberries with a cup of strawberry juice and a half a cup of coconut milk or almond milk, then pour in Popsicle molds, and freeze.
Some Notes About Keeping Strawberries Fresh
- Keep in mind that fresh-picked strawberries will last for year in the freezer packed in a baggie with a bit o lemon juice so you can eat them all year now
- Be sure to eat strawberries within two days of purchasing them, and do not store them in the fridge, but if you must store them in the refrigerator make sure they are in a bin with higher humidity
- Avoid eating strawberries that are oozing juice, have black spots or that have green fuzz on them
For more information about weight loss care in Toronto, improving your diet and naturally boosting your immunity or to book a consultation about anti-aging, naturopathic testing, weight loss programs or any health issue you may be experiencing, visit the Pinewood Natural Healthcare Centre website that has a list of full services and products at www.pinewoodhealth.ca or call our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to answer any question that you have about our holistic health services.