Have you suffered from an outbreak of shingles and want to know how to prevent it from happening again? If so then, you might want to consider some of my suggestions for lifestyle changes and alternative wellness therapies.
Fighting Shingles Past Fifty
Shingles are painful little bumps, that feel and look like bug bites, that form in a symmetrical pattern along the path of your nerves. Along with the outbreak of painful sores, you will off experience nerve and muscle pain, but only on one side of the body.
Catching this virus for the second time in life can make you feel like a little kid again, as the symptoms of fever muscle aches and nausea are back with a vengeance, as are those bloody looking sores. Shingles are caused by the varicella-voster virus – the same virus that causes chicken pox. Once you have had it, the virus lies dormant in your cerebral cortex and can suddenly reactivate if your immune system is lowered. People over age 50 are particularly vulnerable to this reactivation, even if they have had chickenpox before or have been vaccinated. This is because the effectiveness of your immune system naturally lowers, as you get older.
Of course, you can catch shingles at any time in life, if you have an underlying disease that might be contributing to the lowering of your immune system’s defenses. Any autoimmune disease can do this, as can cancer and chemotherapy.
Alternative Natural Approaches to Treating Shingles
The minute you see the telltale sores of shingles appear, you need to see a doctor as soon as possible. This may mean going to an emergency room if you have to, as an anti-viral medication should be administered as soon as soon as possible along with a coricosteroid drug to stop the virus from spreading along your neural pathways and developing additional sores.. Many people are also often prescribed a NSAID such as naproxen to deal with the swelling and muscle soreness that accompanies shingles. These measures usually do stop the virus in its tracks, but you are vulnerable to another outbreak because these medications have complex actions that can serve to lower you immune system further over the long term
Here are the things that you should do to speed your recovery and boost your immune system so that you do not get shingles again.
- Take 4000 mg of L-Lysine, an essential amino acid that calms the nerves and has potent anti-viral efects
- Take between 5000 and 10,000 mg of Vitamins C to fight inflammation, help heal any sores and boost your immune system
- Take 10,000 mg of Vitamin D along with 5000 mg of Vitamin B12 day to boost your immune system and make you less vulnerable to stress.
- Eat at least eight ounces of a good quality probiotic yogurt a day, such as BioK to help fight off any yeast or bacteria in your gut that might have been seeded by taking the coricostreoid drugs and anti-viral medication
- Use LivRelief cream, which contains capsaicin (the oil in chili peppers that makes it hot) to deal with any residual neuralgic pain from the shingles
- Try to reduce your daily stress in life as much as possible and avoid situations and people that get on your nerves!
The holistic approach can go a long towards helping you prevent the nerve pain associated with shingles from becoming chronic. If you would like help recovering from shingles, or would like to discuss injectable vitamin therapy, iv therapy to boost your overall nutrition or other ways to boost your immune system you can make an appointment with us our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to answer any question that you have about our holistic health services. You can also book a consultation about anti-aging, naturopathic testing, weight loss programs or any health issue you may be experiencing, visit the Pinewood Natural Healthcare Centre website that has a list of full services and products at www.pinewoodhealth.ca