In order to benefit from the nutrients and Omega-3 acids found in fish, it is recommended by the Canadian Heart Association that you eat at least two to three servings of fish a week. The best type of fish for you is fresh fish fillets, not the frozen battered ones, just simply because they are not coated in flour, salt, sugar, oils and chemicals that are not the best for your health. To fully reap the health benefits of eating fish try to choose organic items from your grocer’s refrigerator.
Many of us have been raised to believe that fish cannot possibly taste good unless it is fried or battered in some way. However, there are healthier, quite tasty ways of cooking fish that do not up the calorie and saturated fat content of the meal.
Poaching Fish Without Oil
Poaching fish is one of the easiest ways to cook it without using oils. You can poach fish in water, lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice, milk, almond milk, fish stock, vegetable stock or white cooking wine.
- Arrange the fish fillets in a shallow frying pan so that thy touch slightly without overlapping
- Pour in your chosen liquid until the fish is barely covered.
- Season the fish with salt pepper marjoram, garlic paprika, basil chilli powder, curry powder, chilli powder, lemon zest, dill and sage.
- Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for 5 to 6 minutes.Be careful not to overcook it. Remove the finished fish from the pan and serve.
Baking Fish Without Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.Cover a baking pan or oven safe dish with aluminum foil. This is an optional step but it makes for an easier clean-up after the fish is done
- Lay the fish in the pan but with the edges not touching
- Season the fish to taste and add a small amount of vegetable stock, water, milk or almond milk. or white wine to the pan.
- Bake until fish is done, which is approximately 10 to 20 minutes. Make sure you don’t overcook it.
Microwaving Fish Without Oil
- Place the fish in a microwave-safe dish with the edges of any filets not overlapping.
- Season the fish with spices.You do not need liquids to cook fish in a microwave, but if you do use them, be sure to use a lot less then you would normally so that you don’t overcook the fish. A teaspoon should do the trick.
- Microwave the fish for a full three minutes and remove.
No matter how you decide to cook your fish make sure that it is completely done before you consume it. It should appear white and opaque when fully cooked. Uncooked flakes of fish will appear translucent. When you test the flesh with a fork, it should flake apart easily.
These are very healthy and quite quick ways to cook fish, which is an excellent lean protein alternative to eating red meat! Furthermore, cooking fish without oil is also a good skill to learn if you are planning to lose weight using our HCG program for weight loss.
For more information or to book a consultation about anti-aging, diet and weight loss programs or any health issue you may be experiencing, visit the Pinewood Natural Health Clinic website that has a list of full services and products at www.pinewood.ca or call our Toronto Office at (416)-656- 8100. We also have an office in Pickering, Ontario at (905)-427-0057. You can also email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to answer any question that you have about our holistic health services.